Buying a BAR-97 Emission Inspection System
BAR-97 EIS consists of an emissions analyzer, a dynamometer, and current operating
Since a BAR-97 EIS is a considerable investment, you may want to consult with a
business planner, accountant, tax advisor, or attorney before making the purchase.
Here are some questions you may want to consider asking the sales representative:
- Does the sales price include installation? Does the analyzer system require any
special city or county permits and/or station modifications, such as improved electrical
wiring or added ventilation?
- What does the warranty cover, and for how long? Are there any circumstances that
void the warranty?
- Does the manufacturer provide loaner analyzers if mine is inoperative or fails to
operate correctly for an extended length of time?
- What is the financial status of the manufacturer? How long has the manufacturer
been in business? Will there be long-term support of your station and its analyzer?
- How much does a service contract cost and what does it cover? If I call for
service, what is the maximum time I have to wait? How many service personnel are
dedicated to my area? Are parts available locally or regionally? Is service provided
- Approximately how much a year will I have to pay for consumable goods like calibration
gases, filters, and so on? Are those covered in the service contract?
- Does the unit have current BAR certification for use in enhanced areas? Does
the price include OBD II test equipment and software?
- Does the sales price include the installation of any currently required software
and hardware updates? What about updates such as loaded-mode testing for heavy-duty
vehicles? What commitment does the manufacturer make regarding periodic update(s)
required by BAR to implement changes in state or federal law?
- Will this analyzer accommodate hardware upgrades such as added computer memory,
a faster processor, or more storage capacity without much difficulty?
BAR suggests that you visit our website frequently to obtain the latest information
on equipment certification.