Consumer Assistance Program
Due to high demand and participation in the Vehicle Retirement program, CAP has exhausted its funding and is unable to accept or process any new applications for the remainder of the fiscal year. CAP anticipates funds will be available on or after July 1, 2018. Please check the CAP website for updates.
Before applying when funding is available, we recommend reviewing the information provided below.
- Program Eligibility and Smog Check Inspection Requirements ( Requisitos de la elegibilidad del programa y de la inspección del smog )
- Frequently Asked Questions ( Preguntas Frecuentes )
- Income Verification ( Verificación del Ingreso Familiar )
- Dismantler List ( Lista De Desmanteladores )
To check the status of your previously submitted application, please have your CAP ID number and vehicle license plate number ready.
- Apply for the Repair Assistance program after reviewing the eligibility requirements
- Donate the vehicle to a charitable organization
- Contact a dismantler directly (NOTE: The State does NOT have authority to reimburse consumers who retire their vehicles outside of the CAP program.)
- Contact a local Air Quality Management District (AQMD) regarding alternative programs
- Air Resources Board Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- Antelope Valley
- Bay Area
- County of San Luis Obispo
- Mojave Desert
- Ventura County
- San Joaquin Valley APCD Polluting Automobile Scrap & Salvage Program
- San Joaquin Valley Tune In and Tune Up Events
- South Coast Air Quality Management District Replace Your Ride Program
- Greater Los Angeles Area