Consumer Assistance Program
CAP offers two Vehicle Retirement options. Each option has its own specific eligibility and Smog Check requirements that must be met in order to qualify. For instance, Option 1 requires your vehicle to have failed its most recent Smog Check inspection, whereas Option 2 requires a vehicle to have successfully completed a Smog Check inspection (pass or fail) within the last 180 days.
To determine your eligibility, you must apply online or mail a completed application to CAP. Applying online reduces the processing time and allows you to check the status of your application.
Generally, completed Vehicle Retirement applications are processed within four (4) weeks. Once your application is processed, a determination letter will be mailed to you. Please note that CAP is unable to determine a consumer’s eligibility until the application is processed.
We encourage you to review the information provided in the links below before submitting an application. There may be issues such as vehicle registration or Smog Check requirements that must be addressed before applying.
- Program Eligibility and Smog Check Inspection Requirements ( Requisitos de la elegibilidad del programa y de la inspección del smog )
- Frequently Asked Questions ( Preguntas Frecuentes )
- Income Verification ( Verificación del Ingreso Familiar )
- Dismantler List ( Lista De Desmanteladores )
To apply online, please have your vehicle registration or title available.
To check the status of your application, please have your CAP ID number and vehicle license plate number ready.
- Air Resources Board Plus-Up Pilot Project
- Greater Los Angeles area
- San Joaquin Valley
- Air Resources Board Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Program
- Antelope Valley Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- Bay Area Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- County of San Luis Obispo Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- Mojave Desert Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- Ventura County Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- South Coast Air Basin Replace Your Ride Program
To contact CAP or to request an application, call toll-free (800) 952-5210 or (866) 272-9642.