Career Opportunities At the Bureau of Automotive Repair
- Who We Are: The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) is one of the premier consumer protection agencies in California. Through a network of 12 field offices, BAR staff are responsible for administering the Automotive Repair Act. BAR is also responsible for administering the Smog Check Program, which plays an important role in helping to reduce motor vehicle emissions and help clear the air we breathe.
- What We Do: Program Representatives are the working-level classifications of BAR. Incumbents perform duties that are central to the mission of BAR. Typically, incumbents investigate and mediate complaints, conduct inspections, make public presentations and collect and analyze data.
- Who Qualifies: If you possess a valid driver's license with a good driving record and have a minimum two years college or trade school education in automotive engineering or automotive mechanics combined with two to four years of experience performing automotive mechanical, collision repair or collision inspection duties you may qualify to take the online exam.
- Where We're Located: Bakersfield, Culver City, Fresno, Hercules, Irvine, Riverside, Sacramento, San Diego, San Jose, South El Monte, South San Francisco and Valencia.
- What You Can Earn:
- Program Representative I - $4,454 - $5,363
- Program Representative II (Specialist) - $4,889 - $5,898
- Program Representative III (Specialist) - $5,363 - $6,473
- Program Representative III (Supervisor) - $5,369 - $6,478
- CalPERS Enhanced Safety Retirement, CalPERS health benefits, dental benefits, vision benefits and paid holidays are just a few of the benefits available to BAR employees. For more information about benefits, please visit: http://www.dpa.ca.gov/benefits/index.htm
- How to Apply:
To review the examination bulletins, visit:
- Your results will be provided upon completion of the examination.
- Periodically check online at Consumer Affairs vacancy listings for job openings. To obtain an application visit:http://jobs.ca.gov/Profile/StateApplication.
For information about getting a state job and career opportunities at BAR, please see Employment Opportunities at DCA.
For more information, please contact BAR Personnel at 916.403.8471.